BLUEBERRY RICOTTA PANCAKES
During our LA trip, we had the pleasure of brunching at Little Dom's. If you find yourself in Los Feliz, definitely worth the trip. Jessie really enjoyed their blueberry ricotta pancakes, and I decided to recreate them for her Mother's Day breakfast. She liked my take on the pancakes so much, she requested them again for dinner the next evening. All credit for this recipe goes to Brandon Boudet of Little Dom’s and Dominick’s.
Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbs + 1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp kosher salt
2 cups whole milk
6 oz unsalted butter, melted
4 large eggs, separated
2 tsp vanilla extract
12 oz ricotta cheese, broken up into small pieces (whole milk or part skim ricotta work well)
2 pints fresh blueberries (NOTE: Driscoll's berries has a blueberry and lemon ricotta pancake recipe that's equally delicious!)
1. Measure dry ingredients and place in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
2. In a separate bowl, combine milk, melted butter, egg yolks, vanilla extract and ricotta cheese. Mix well.
3. With a rubber spatula, fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Combine, but do not over mix (lumps of dry mixture are ok).
4. Place egg whites in a kitchen-aid bowl and whisk on medium speed until foamy. Switch speed to high and whisk until stiff but no dry peaks form. With a rubber spatula, fold whites into batter in thirds.
5. Heat cast iron skillet on medium heat. Add 1 T butter and scoop pancake batter into skillet.
6. Add a handful of blueberries to each pancake on the griddle. (I used about 10 per cake)
7. Cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side serve. Serve with butter and real maple syrup.